The vision of Pathology Department, Fazaia Medical College, Air University, is to progress towards being a leading department in Pathology among the national medical colleges and universities, while excelling in teaching, learning, research, and public service.
The mission of Department of Pathology is to build a prestigious faculty recognized for diagnostic and teaching expertise in the fields of Chemical Pathology. Histopathology, Microbiology and Hematology. It aspires to provide quality assured Pathology services and produce community physicians with required expertise and knowledge in the subject of Pathology for the pathologists at undergraduate and post graduate level.
The goals of Department of Pathology is to impart quality Pathology education to the undergraduate students from 1st year to 4th year MBBS and to provide diagnostic facilities at PAF hospital labs along with safe blood transfusion and component therapy services.
Pathology is a bridging discipline between basic sciences and clinical medicine. A good liaison between clinicians and pathologists is very helpful in diagnosing and treating different diseases. Pathology, the study of disease, etiology, signs and symptoms and diagnosis, comprises of four basic disciplines Histopathology, Hematology, Chemical Pathology and Microbiology
The Department of Pathology is fully equipped with all required resources essential for teaching and learning of the undergraduate medical students. The facilities include spacious laboratories, a museum and tutorial rooms. Laboratory equipment is having latest technologies to cater for all practical work that is required for teaching.
A large number of investigations both specialized and routine in all disciplines are carried out in the hospital for patient care as well as for research purposes. All lab results are quality assured. Islamabad Blood Transfusion Authority (IBTA) approved blood bank provides services round the clock to the patient community.
At the end of this block students should be able to:
- Discuss the causes of Cell Injury, Sequence of Events in Cell Injury and Cell Death, Mechanisms of Cell Injury and Cell Death, Cellular Adaptations to Stress, Intracellular Accumulations and Pathologic Calcification
- Describe causes of Inflammation, Recognition of Microbes and Damaged Cells, Acute Inflammation, Mediators of Inflammation, Morphologic Patterns & outcomes of Acute Inflammation, Chronic inflammation, Systemic Effects of Inflammation and Tissue Repair
- Discuss the structure of bacterial cell, bacterial growth cycle/curve, bacterial genetics and comparison with other micro organisms, normal flora, Bacterial Vaccines, different modes of sterilization and disinfection, Classify anti-microbials and discuss their mode of action and patterns of resistance
- Describe the Gram positive cocci, Gram positive bacilli, Gram negative rods related to different systems and Gram negative cocci
- Discuss the concepts of innate immunity, adaptive immunity, structure and types of different antibodies, complement, MHC, transplant & graft rejection, autoimmunity, and the types of Hypersensitivities
- Describe Hyperemia and Congestion, Edema, Hemorrhage, Hemostasis and Thrombosis, Embolism, Infarction & Shock
- Describe Nomenclature, Characteristics of Benign and Malignant Neoplasms, Epidemiology, Cancer Genes, Genetic Lesions in Cancer, Carcinogenesis: A Multistep Process, Hallmarks of Cancer, Etiology of Cancer: Carcinogenic Agents and Clinical Aspects of Neoplasia
- Draw/Describe the life cycles & discuss the Intestinal & Urogenital, Blood & tissue protozoa, Cestodes, Trematodes & Nematodes
- Classify the medically important viruses and describe the viral structure, replication, genetics, pathogenesis and viral vaccines
- Discuss the herpes viruses, Respiratory viruses, childhood viruses, hepatitis viuses, Arboviruses, HIV and viruses infecting the Enteric tract
- Classify the fungal infections and discuss the cutaneous, sub cutaneous, systemic and opportunistic mycoses
- Describe the genetic and nutritional disorders
- Understand and learn about the congenital and ischemic heart diseases, valvular heart diseases, cardiomyopathies, pericarditis, myocarditis, and tumors of the heart.
- Comprehend pathogenesis, causes and lab diagnosis of iron deficiency anemia, megaloblastic (B12 and folate deficiency) anemia, polycythemia, and anemia of chronic diseases.
- Describe vasculitis, hypertensive vascular diseases and vascular tumors
- Understand and learn about atelectasis, COPD, ARDS, asthma, bronchiectasis, chronic bronchitis, lung tumors and pleural diseases.
- Describe the infectious disorders of the liver, portal hypertension, autoimmune hepatitis, cholestasis. Cholangiopathies, tumors of liver and diseases of gallbladder.
- Briefly describe the diseases of pancreas, oral cavity, esophagitis, esophageal tumors, gastritis, gastric polyps & tumors of upper GIT.
- Describe the diarrheal disorders, inflammation intestinal disorders, colonic polyps, neoplastic disorders, acute appendicitis & tumors of appendix.
- Understand and learn about the diseases of cervix, disorders of uterus, tumors of ovary and diseases of pregnancy.
- Describe the pathogenesis of glomerular diseases , nephritic syndrome, nephrotic syndrome, renal tumors, pyelonephritis, nephrolithiasis, hydronephrosis, acute tubular necrosis, nephrosclerosis and cystic diseases
- Learn and understand the non-neoplastic disorders of WBC’S, acute leukemias, chronic leukemias, lymphomas, MPD’s and multiple myelomas.
- Understand and learn about the inflammatory diseases of breast, benign and malignant tumors of breast.
- Describe pathogenesis, causes and features of bleeding disorders and thrombocytopenia
- Understand diseases and tumors of Male Genital System
- Interpret and learn biochemical markers of ischemic heart disease, lab diagnosis of acid base disorders and diabetes mellitus, renal function tests, liver function tests, thyroid function tests, adrenal function tests and pituitary function tests.
- Understand and learn the complications of diabetes, hypo and hyperparathyroidism, thyroiditis and neoplasms of thyroid.
- Understand and learn about the diseases of peripheral nervous system , muscles & joints.
- Classify & describe cerebrovascular diseases, CNS trauma, meningitis, Neurodegenerative disorders and CNS tumors.
- Understand and learn about skin inflammatory disorders and tumors.
- Identify different parts of a compound microscope with their functions
- Demonstrate the steps and interpret the results of how to form and fix a smear
- Demonstrate the steps of Gram staining procedure and interpret the results
- Identify the commonly used culture media, their types
- Interpret different biochemical reactions for diagnosing Gram negative rods
- Demonstrate catalase and oxidase test and interpret their results
- Identify a culture & sensitivity plate and interpret the results
- Observe and interpret the morphological changes of Intracellular Accumulations and Pathologic Calcification, Acute & Chronic inflammation
- Demonstrate the steps of ZN staining procedure and interpret the results
- Draw and differentiate gross and microscopic features of Pulmonary edema and Neoplasia
- Observe, identify and draw the different forms of pathogenic protozoa and ova in stool
- Observe and identify the different stages of Malarial parasite in a blood film
- Observe & interpret the morphological changes of benign & malignant tumors, edema and thrombus
- Identify the commonly used instruments in the laboratory & describe their uses
- Interpret the abnormal findings of urine routine examination
Identify and Recognize
- The morphological features in myocardial infarction
- Anti-coagulants used for blood collection in sample tubes/syringe
- Changes in RBC morphology in health and diseases
- The morphological features in Hemangiomas
- The morphological features in Atherosclerosis
- The morphological features in Pneumonia and lung carcinoma
- The morphological features in liver cirrhosis
- Demonstrate the effective attitude towards performing practical
- Demonstrate the professional attitude, group dynamicism and good communication durig practical in pathology teaching laboratory and tutorial room
- Demonstrate the effective attitude towards performing practicals
- Demonstrate the professional attitude, group dynamicism and good communication in pathology teaching lab and tutorial room during practical.
- Demonstrate the effective attitude towards performing practicals
- Demonstrate the effective approach towards performing practicals.
- Demonstrate the professional attitude, group dynamism and good communication in pathology teaching lab and tutorial rooms during practical.